Finally to the last of the Abbeys of Kildare, Black Abbey located on the grounds of the National Stud, so I expected to be able to gain entry, but unfortunatly the site is fenced off.The abbey ruins are in the grounds of the Irish National Stud. The Knights Hospitallers or Knights of St. John of Jerusalem founded the Black Abbey sometime before 1212 at Tully. The Abbey thrived under the patronage of the various Lords of Kildare but remained a Hospitaller preceptory until it was surrendered to the Crown during the Reformation. It was known as the Black Abbey because the Hospitallers wore black habits in the preceptory. There are rumours of underground passages connecting the Black Abbey to the other monastic sites of the White Abbey and the Grey Abbey in Kildare town.
Photographer, Blogger, Ruinhunter, with an unhealthy obsession for history, mythology and the arcane.
Join me on Social Media
- View EdMooneyPhotography’s profile on Facebook
- View edmooneyphoto’s profile on Twitter
- View edmooneyphoto’s profile on Instagram
- View edmooneyphotogr’s profile on Pinterest
- View edward-mooney-a9642a37’s profile on LinkedIn
- View UCtAEGwsDZrxtG1twWkMNi1g’s profile on YouTube
- View 103808904877140482375’s profile on Google+
Top Posts & Pages
- 273,565 hits
No Instagram images were found.