With today being World Photography Day, I have been scouring the web to see what is going on. It amazes me that the first commercially available 35mm film camera was only developed 90 years ago? And the digital camera only came out 20 years ago. In fact would you believe that camera phones were only beginning to come out 15 years ago? With advancements in digital technologies photography is now easily accessible to every Man, Woman and Child. Whether it’s a quick selfie on your smart phone or an artistic landscape or portrait taken on a DSLR, we can now capture images anywhere and anytime.
And so the little hamster in my head started to race around on his wheel and I got thinking, this weekend is the start of National Heritage Week here in Ireland, which runs from 22 – 30 August 2015. You can find out more about it HERE. So why not combine these two passions of mine into a weekly Challenge?
The plan is quite simple, each Wednesday I will be posting an image of a random site with a heritage connection and I would love for you to join in the challenge. Any images sent in will be included in the challenge along with your name and a link to your site. Full credit is given to each participant. The joy of this challenge is that we can all participate and share our images whilst raising the awareness of our own particular History and Heritage. The image can be anything from an old Church or Castle, to a Battlefield or Neolithic tomb, the choices are endless. And you can capture the image on any device you choose to. It can be in colour, black and white or any variation. The important thing is that we share.
And so to make sure that the challenge runs smoothly here are a few notes on how to participate:
- All images must have been taking by you, there is no time restriction on this and you retain the copyright for your images
- Images should be submitted via email by no later than midnight GMT on the Sunday before so I can ensure the challenge is ready to be posted on the Wednesday morning. My email address is email@example.com
- You don’t have to even have to be a WordPress blogger. This challenge is open to everyone, please include your name and a link back to your blog, website or social media page.
- Images should be kept at low resolution with the largest side at 1000 pixels or less, if you need help with this you can pm me.
- Once the challenge is published I will delete all files and mails from that week .
And that is really it, im really looking forward to this challenge and I hope that many of you will join me each week. Please remember the purpose of this challenge is to share our history and heritage so please be nice and remember to check the comments section for messages about your image.
So get out there and get snapping, we have just over a week to go 🙂