Today is the first day of October, which marks the countdown to my absolute favourite time of the year, Samhain/Halloween. For the last couple of years, my Ruinhunting activities tend to die off during the month, mainly due to poor weather and access to many of the sites that I visit. But I keep my blog going with an assortment of the otherworld and Halloween Themed posts. The Bram Stoker Festival has featured these past two years along with Irish based tales concerning Gaelic Mythology and Supernatural customs and Traditions such as An Púca, the faerie Ghost, the Bean-sidhe an Irish harbinger of Sorrow , An Dullahan, the real Headless Horseman, Dearg-Due, an ancient Irish Vampire and the Wizard Earl of Kilkea Castle to name but a few.
So this year got me thinking, with the success of the Capturing History Challenge, I thought, Why not run a special ‘Spooktakular Challenge’ just for Samhain/Halloween on Oct 31st. What I am hoping for, is that as many readers as possible will submit an image to the challenge that has a Spooky connection or history associated too it. This can be anything you want it to be from a Haunted House, A Vampire’s Castle, a Witches Lair etc, etc. So on the 31st I will post all the submitted images and links back to you own website or blog and I would like you to post a piece on the history or story behind your image on the same day. As part of this year’s celebrations Im really hoping that this will be a huge success and Im looking forward to reading tales from all around the world.
So just like the regular Capturing History Challenge:
- All images must have been taking by you, there is no time restriction on this and you retain the copyright for your images
- Images should be submitted via email by no later than midnight GMT on the Monday 26th Oct, so I can ensure the challenge is ready to be posted on the Saturday morning. My email address is as always firstname.lastname@example.org
- You don’t have to even have to be a WordPress blogger. This SPOOKTAKULAR challenge is open to everyone, please include your name and a link back to your blog, website or social media page.
- Images should be kept at low resolution with the largest side at 1000 pixels or less, if you need help with this you can pm me.
- Once the challenge is published I will delete all files and mails from that week.
- Each contributor should please write a piece about their image and its spooky history on their blog, for readers to check out.
“I want you to believe…to believe in things that you cannot.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula