For this weeks re-work we go back to last year and a stunning ruin that I found after two failed attempts to locate. Carbury Castle rests on a hill top in Kildare, near the Offaly border, which goes back in Irish history over several millenia. A stunning place to explore, and spend a few quite hours. The original Castle dates back to a sept of the O’Neill clan, then after the Norman Invasion of Ireland it came into the hands of Meiler Fitzhenry before passing on to the DeBermingham family whom held vast lands and numerous castles along the Kildare/Offaly border. Although in a ruineous state, its still easy enough to have a good look around and explore the lower levels. It is possible to climb certain parts of the walls but caution is advised. You can read more about its history and see the original shots by clicking the link above.
Photographer, Blogger, Ruinhunter, with an unhealthy obsession for history, mythology and the arcane.
Join me on Social Media
- View EdMooneyPhotography’s profile on Facebook
- View edmooneyphoto’s profile on Twitter
- View edmooneyphoto’s profile on Instagram
- View edmooneyphotogr’s profile on Pinterest
- View edward-mooney-a9642a37’s profile on LinkedIn
- View UCtAEGwsDZrxtG1twWkMNi1g’s profile on YouTube
- View 103808904877140482375’s profile on Google+
Top Posts & Pages
- Dearg-Due..... An Irish Vampire
- The Werewolves of Ossory
- Bodenstown Church & Cemetry
- The Priest House - Glendalough
- In search of the Werewolf.
- The Tale of Jack O Lantern
- St. Michael's Medieval Church & Graveyard
- Harbinger of Sorrow - The Bean-Sidhe
- The Ancient Hill of Allen
- Castles from Tallaght's Past
- 205,927 hits